Monday, April 7, 2014

Today's word (Monday)...Exercise

n.
in a general sense, any kind of work, labor or exertion of body. Hence,
1.  Use;  practice; the exertions and movements customary in the performance of business;  as the exercise of an art, trade, occupation, or profession.
2.  Practice;  performance;  as the exercise of religion.
3.  Use;  employment; exertion;  as the exercise
of the eyes or of the senses, or of any power of body or mind.
4.  Exertion of the body, as conducive to health;  action;  motion, by labor, walking, riding, or other exertion.
5.  Exertion of the body for amusement, or for instruction;  the habitual use of the limbs for acquiring an art, dexterity, or grace, as in fencing, dancing, riding;  or the exertion of the muscles for invigorating the body.
6.  Exertion of the body and mind or faculties for improvement, as in oratory, in painting or statuary.
7.  Use or practice to acquire skill;  preparatory practice.  Military exercises consist in using arms, in motions, marches and evolutions.  Naval exercise consists in the use or management of artillery, and in the evolutions of fleets.
8.  Exertion of the mind;  application of the mental powers.
9.  Task;  that which is appointed for one to perform.
10.     Act of divine worship.
11.     Lesson or example for practice.
v.t.
1.  In a general sense, to move;  to exert;  to cause to act, in any manner;  as, to exercise the body or the hands;  to exercise the mind, the powers of the mind, the reason or judgment.
2.  To use;  to exert;  as, to exercise authority or power.
3.  To use for improvement in skill; as, to exercise arms.
4.  To exert one’s powers or strength;  to practice habitually;  as, to exercise one’s self in speaking or music.
5.  To practice;  to perform the duties of;  as, to exercise an office.
6.  To train;  to use;  to discipline;  to cause to perform certain acts, as preparatory to service;  as, to exercise troops.
7.  To task;  to keep employed;  to use efforts.
Herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense towards God and men.  ˜Acts xxiv
8.   To use;  to employ
9.  To busy; to keep busy in action, exertion or employment.
10.     To pain or afflict;  to give anxiety to;  to make uneasy.

v.i.
          To use action or exertion;  as, to exercise for health or amusement.

The word is quit packed with possibility.
     Today I am afraid I did NOT exercise my self discipline as far as keeping my temper in check.  I can tell you that I would feel much better tonight if I had.  Crow is the most distasteful thing to have to eat.
     I did, however, exercise constraint in spending today.  I usually go in to WalMart and spend at least $50 but not today.  I am pretty pleased with myself...in that area.  It doesn't make up for the aforementioned offense.
     I think that the 5th definition in the verb section is most applicable to me at this point.  I am in training.  I am learning the exercises to complete this course.  I am exercising change to become a better person in general.  It feels good and it feels painful all at the same time...just like physical exercise does.

Here's to Growing and Glowing!!
Onward and Upward!!!
Tari

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my 90 day personal journal for the "Every Woman A CEO" project. Feel free to leave a comment but please be nice...and no spam.
Thanks :)