Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Monday's Watch Word - - Content; Tuesday's Watch Word - - Curious

Content: a.
 Literally, held, contained within limits: hence quiet; not disturbed; having a mind at peace; easy;
 satisfied, so as not to repine, object or oppose.
Content: v.
1)     To satisfy the mind; to make quiet, so as to stop complaint or opposition; to appease;
              To make easy in any situation.
2)  To please or gratify
Content: n
1)        Rest or quietness of the mind in the present condition; satisfaction which holds the mind in peace, restraining complaint, opposition, or further desire, and often implying a moderate degree of happiness.
2)   Acquiescence; satisfaction without examination.

3)    The term used in the House of Lords in England, to express an assent to a bill or motion.

This word is a serious challenge for me.  It seems that I can almost always find something to complain about. Oh, that is just so sad! So Laman and Lemuel!  Blah...I don't like those guys!!!

So...what to do, what to do.

I think contentment comes with understanding that this life is all about being tested, tempered, strengthened.  That is the purpose of mortality.  When a person can come to grips with that...the simple fact that we draw breath in order to become more...then one can be content knowing that there is a very good reason for every single challenge that arises.  Every bump in the road becomes 'fun' rather than 'annoying.'

Okay so 'fun' is stretching it a bit.  But the way the bump is handled makes all the difference to meaningful growth.

I went through some serious challenges not too long ago...challenges that had those I love pitted against those I love.  What a difference it would have made to everyone if I had truly been content to leave the Lord in charge and allowed that peace to come to my heart. I think my whining and complaining caused more damage than was ever necessary.  The Lord could have worked it all out so much better.  But now there is a rift...a chasm ... between people who are supposed to be supportive and loving with each other.

I am struggling with this one. Talk about needing time to repent!  I am processing this one as I move forward.

There are areas where I find contentment.  I am happily content with the way things are moving forward in my marriage...Not to the point of complacency because I have a lot of work to do on myself, but I am happier about a lot of things now.  It helps to have a common activity.

'Content' is a worthy goal.

Tuesday's Word - - Curious

Curious:
1)     Strongly desirous to see what is novel, or to discover what is unknown; solicitous to see or to know; inquisitive.
2)  Habitually inquisitive; addicted to research or enquiry; as a man of a curious turn of mind; sometimes followed by after, and sometimes by of.
3)  Accurate; careful not to mistake; solicitous to be correct.
4)  Careful; nice; solicitous in selection; difficult to please.
5)  Nice; exact subtile (subtle); made with care.
6)  Artful, nicely diligent.
7)  Wrought with care and art; elegant; neat; finished; as a curious girdle; curious work.
8)  Requiring care and nicety; as curious arts.
9)  Rigid; severe; particular.

10) Rare; singular; as a curious fact.

I like this word.  I think it describes me.  I must be part feline because I want to know!  Just know.  I don't even ever have to do anything with what I learn...I just want to know.  I collect books...mostly 'how to' books...because I want to know how it is done.  I even have math books because I imagine that I can get passed the block I have had about that subject and know how to do it. I took a computer programming course from a friend because I want to know how it is done. (didn't stick it out...but I sure have a new appreciation for those who are really good at it)

Curious...is it possible that it is also a synonym for 'peculiar?'  Now, see, I can wrap my head around that one too. Peculiar...as in 'a peculiar people'...different from the rest of the 'world'...a curiosity...a curiosity 'wrought with care and art, elegant, neat, finished.'  I can live with that...although I know that I am far from finished..."rare, singular."...even better.

So,
Onward and Upward!
Tari



No comments:

Post a Comment

This is my 90 day personal journal for the "Every Woman A CEO" project. Feel free to leave a comment but please be nice...and no spam.
Thanks :)