Thursday, July 4, 2013

Today's Watch Word is - - 'Charismatic'

Charismatic:  (Replaces Charming)
Noah doesn’t have the word in his 1828 dictionary
Found this definition on the internet:
Exercising a compelling charm that inspires devotion in others.

Charisma:
1)        Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

2)   A divinely conferred power or talent.

Hmmm... ... ... The other day a person said to me, "You always were devious."  I didn't like that at all.  I even tried really hard to be offended...until that person said, "That word does NOT have to be negative, Tari."

Well, I looked it up..."showing skillful use of underhanded tactics to achieve goals."  Then I no longer had to try to be offended. ;-)  I pondered that word for awhile and then came to wonder if one uses "the feminine art of persuasion" to coax another to accomplish something...is that 'devious' or 'charismatic'?  I guess I am still pondering that.

I also got to thinking about the second definition there...of 'charisma'...if this power or talent can be divinely conferred, should we be praying for it?  So that we can help our families, and loved ones, and neighbors, etc., be the best they can be.  I guess David, in the Old Testament, had that gift/talent.  Well, until he blew it with Bathsheba anyway. (How sad is that?)

I would love to have that gift...it would require a lot of self-discipline to keep from abusing it.  I think the abuse is where it becomes "devious"...

I never want to be devious...not even referred to as being devious.  I don't think that way.  I always wonder how someone can use the emotions of others to get what they want out of them...I prefer to be truthful and sharing.  Others can follow me if they like the way I live my life.  And by 'follow' I mean that they can join is association with me and chose to live by the principles that I do because they see that it is good and right and uplifting.

Does this follow the meaning of 'charismatic?'

Happy 4th of July!!
Onward and Upward!
Tari

2 comments:

  1. Tari, you are SOOO using these words the way we wanted you to! I am absolutely delighted when I read your posts. You don't just look at the words, you take them apart with a microscope, even going so far as to look up the actual OPPOSITE of the meaning of the word and analyzing that.
    THIS is what we wanted to see. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

    Well done, Tari. Thank you for setting that example. Charismatic, indeed!

    Love,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry. I am probably struggling as much as Bronwen is but I just want to plow through and then go back and perfect. Unless I die tomorrow there is time to perfect. I just think awareness is more than half of the battle. I love learning and growing.

      Delete

This is my 90 day personal journal for the "Every Woman A CEO" project. Feel free to leave a comment but please be nice...and no spam.
Thanks :)